Friday 22 January 2010

What is an ATC?

Artist Trading Cards (or ATCs) are miniature works of art  2 ½ X 3 ½ inches (6cm X 9cm), small enough to fit inside standard card-collector pockets, sleeves or sheets. The ATC movement developed out of the mail art movement and has its origins in Switzerland.
Cards are produced in various media, including dry media (pencils, pens, markers, etc), wet media (watercolor, acrylic paints, etc), paper media (in the form of collage, papercuts, found objects, etc).
The cards are  traded or exchanged rather than sold.



On the back of the card the following details are listed (can be handwritten or stamped):

Artist Trading Card
Handmade by......
Title... (eg. January Swap - Snow)
Number .....of.......
Date.......

Hope this helps those of you new to ATCs.

2 comments:

sue-bubbles said...

Thank you for adding me to your list Susie! Also thanks for a reminder of the 'rules' as its been a while since I made one!
Have a great weekend!
Sue x

SueB said...

Ok Susie, sign me up!
I'm not really sure what I'm doing as I've never made one of these before, but it sounds like fun!
If you or Gina could let me know what to do, who I'll be swaping with and the rest of details, I would love to join in.
Suzie xxxx :)