Monday 6 January 2014

Creative Jump Start

As my mojo was well and truly missing for the second half of last year I decided to sign up for Creative Jump Start.

Run by Nathalie Kalbach it takes place throughout January and involves many different artists...we're up to day six and have so far had videos from Nathalie herself, Julie Fei-Fan Balzer and Suze Weinberg.

The theme for this year is "Household Items"......

Fortunately they don't want you to use them for their intended purpose (Domestic Goddess I ain't!) but rather subvert them...in the name of art..

Day 5 was a sponsor giveaway by Liquitex...we have until the end of the month to produce a project inspired by the videos...

Voila! 
Three backgrounds prepared for my art journal...






These were made using my Gelli plates and Winsor and Newton acrylic paints (can we buy Liquitex paints here in the UK?)

The household items I subverted were....
an old comb

bubblewrap

the cap from a can of shaving gel

 and the piece de resistance...

a squeegee that I had butchered altered (as shown by Nathalie) making a fringe of the rubber bit - that's what made the wavy lines in photos 1 and 2. 

I seem to be stuck on purple at the moment...with gold and white...even my recent clothes purchases have been purple....no doubt a psychiatrist could tell me what that means...

I'm looking forward to seeing who and what is next!

10 comments:

Joanna said...

Yay, Susie's been having fun with her Gelli plate!!! Super backgrounds, Susie - I love the textures and shapes you've achieved. I bought some Liquitex acrylic paint in Hobbycraft, I don't know if you've got one of them near you?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you get up to with Creative Jumpstart :)

xx

Gina said...

Purple is good!! Strong and intuitive(and pretty)...as seen by the lovely backgrounds you have enjoyed making :D XXX

Jackie Plank said...

You are doing great with the household products Susie. Looks like you are having fun, love what you have done so far. :)

Carmen said...

Am happy clapping at this post Sue! Messy painty goodness!

Liquitex is my favourite! You can get them on Amazon, at Hobbycraft, Cowling & Wilcox has a great sale on at the mo... Ummm, Jackson Art sells them too... Well that's the places I buy mine ;-)

Virginia said...

Ah you are crafting fab stuff - loving what you've created and the colour purple is always awesome, I always find it so positive. Hope you are enjoying your crafting - I'm unfortunately off to work - catch ya later!

lehtipollo said...

Fantastic backgrounds! Purple is my favourite colour.

Valerie-Jael said...

You're stuck on purple - it means you like the colour, so go ahead and use it. Love your AJ backgrounds, have fun, and it's always good to have 'good' uses for household stuff - did you know you can make wonderful lines with pastry cutters? I just can't use mine for pastry any more! Valerie

APG Jamie said...

nice page

and the color purple represents Spiritual growth ^5

Nathalie Kalbach said...

LOL Susie this "Fortunately they don't want you to use them for their intended purpose (Domestic Goddess I ain't!) but rather subvert them...in the name of art.." made me laugh so much! Wonderful texture and design! Love the purple too! Wonderful entry for the Liquitex giveaway. Liquitex is available in a lot of art supply stores - I am not familiar with the leading ones in the U.K. Thank you so much for being part of CJS2014 and playing along with us! - Nat

mandysea said...

Gorgeous colour! Love the use of so many of the techniques! this has fabulous texture to it! Go the gelli plates!